Friday, December 29, 2017

Jadeite: My Newest Obsession!


Hi, my name is Kristin and I am a new jadeite-aholic.

I first discovered the beautiful green glass dishes a few years ago and have always kept my eyes open for them while perusing antique shops. I never found any and my desire for them grew and grew until recently when it became a full fledged mission!

For the last year I have gone to estate sale after estate sale and even stopped at random garage sales hoping to score, but I have always came up empty handed! I have found some other cool stuff along the way though, like a very large vintage blue mason jar for only $1.50! It makes a perfect vase!

I did see a jadeite butter dish at an antique shop once for $150 and I thought, "If that's considered a good price for this stuff, I'm out!" As much as I wanted it (obviously) there was no way I could reckon paying that kind of money, no matter if I could afford it or not! Okay, maybe if i was a millionaire I would have bought it.

Turns out, I had to go all the way to Florida to get my first official piece of jadeite!

I always go into antique stores with such high hopes and Oliver's Twist in Mount Dora, Florida was no different. Almost immediately I spotted two Jane Ray pattern cup and saucers. One appeared to be etched pretty badly, which doesn't come out, so I passed on that one for sure. But the other was in good condition and had a ten dollar price tag on each the cup and the saucer. I really wanted it, but thought long and hard. Twenty dollars for a cup and saucer just seemed too much for me.

We walked all over the rest of the town (which is very cute and I highly recommend stopping there if you are in central Florida anytime soon!) and I could not get those dishes out of my head. Aside from the overpriced butter dish they were the first pieces I had come across in the wild and at twenty dollars, they were still something I could purchase. Of course, I was also in vacation mode where calories and money have less meaning than in regular everyday situations and I decided to go back and get that teacup and saucer. It would be my special remembrance of that trip.

When I took it to the counter to pay the lady told me it was only ten dollars for the whole thing! Cup and saucer together! I almost went back and grabbed the etched one too just because, but I stopped myself. That's how you go overboard on collecting and waste your hard earned money! I walked out of that shop on such a high! Finally, I was a proud owner of real 1950's Fire King Jadeite!

As usual, once you buy something you just keep seeing it everywhere. On that same trip I went to one of my favorite stores, World Market, and found a sizable collection of reproduction jadeite for sale! It definitely lacks of the quality of the older stuff, but it still looks good! I walked out with a cakestand - truly the one piece that I wanted all along - with the understanding that it was going to be my birthday present. Best birthday present EVER!!!

I have since stumbled upon a local jadeite jackpot (I'm not going to tell you where because I want it all to myself!) They had maybe about thirty or so pieces of dishes: plates, bowls, and an Alice pattern teacup and saucer. Among them were also one single restaurantware plate that I have been dying for, but it wasn't in the greatest shape. And it cost $15, which may be a decent price for a jadeite restaurantware plate, but I'm poor and I have a hard time paying $15 for one plate! So I have to be picky about my finds. I did buy a cute little berry bowl and will definitely be back for more!

I think that's one of the keys to collecting. Wait for the good stuff! Don't spend a lot of money on some half messed up piece just because it's available. And only buy what you love and/or could use.

After we take down all the Christmas decorations, I will be able to set up all my new goodies! I can't wait to play around with everything! It almost makes me want to start taking down my Christmas decor already, but not quite. That will probably happen in another week or two.

Until then, all I want to do is go to every antique store in town and hunt down some more jadeite! I'm also becoming slightly obsessed with stalking ebay (like twenty years late.) My dream is to one day have my antique china cabinet filled with that gorgeous glowing green glass and use it as my everyday dinnerware! But for now, I'm just happy I finally found my three little pieces!

My first official piece of jadeite! I will treasure it always!


Jadeite jackpot at the World Market. It may be fake, but it still looks gorgeous! I got the larger cakestand! Happy Birthday to me!


I want it all!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment