Saturday, November 12, 2016

Looking ahead to Spring!

Despite the fact that it is only November, I am already planning ahead for Spring. Well, in my garden at least. I'm a planner by nature and every year around August/September when the bulbs start coming out I like to go around to all of the stores and take stock. I take lots of pictures of all of the flowers that I like and then try to whittle it down from there. I would spend all my money on flowers if I could!

This year I tried really hard not to go crazy and I only bought four new packs of bulbs. I usually tend to go a little overboard and get in over my head. Then I have to race against the clock to get them all planted and I end up getting a little resentful that I purchased so many bulbs. My four packs still equaled out to over 100 bulbs that I had to get in the ground. I didn't want a repeat of last year when I ran out of Muscari to edge the border of my creekside garden, so I made sure to purchase plenty to finally finish it off this year. I can't wait to see it!

Muscari and Daffodils are among my most favorite flowers and I had been wanting some Irises for a long time.

I got two packs of Muscari to finish off the border of my garden. I absolutely love their blue color. There were even a few bulbs left over that I planted in my peony garden where I noticed, much to my dismay, that it looked like my peonies were pushing up again! I don't remember that happening before, so I hope they will be okay. Crazy Indiana weather!

Daffodils are probably my most favorite of all flowers. I saw these gorgeous double daffodils and just had to get them. I hope I got a good mix of all three planted together!

I planted the daffodils in five clumps of five bulbs through out my garden that runs along the creek-I call it the "creekside garden." This is how I decide where to plant them for the best placement.
Here they are nestled in their new home.

I planted these beauties in clumps of five in a few places in the front of my house. They will look great with my existing daffodils and purple hyacinths! We are always looking to add more pops of color in the front yard. I had a few bulbs left over that I ended up planting in a new bed that I am just starting on the side of my garage too.

I also decided it was time to plant this gorgeous deep red mum (well, it was deep red when I originally bought it.) It went into my creekside garden as well, the first of many in the years to come. I like to take my time planting gardens-if I did it all at once, what would I have to look forward to?

These were the only bulbs that I really wanted but did not get a chance to purchase. I think it may be too late because the first frost finally hit last night. Next year!

I woke up to this. The dreaded first frost!

Frost on my beloved limelight hydrangea. This is just the beginning of things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment