Saturday, February 4, 2017

Valentine's Day Argyle Heart Wreath


 I have been wanting to make this Argyle Heart Wreath for Valentine's Day for two or three years now.

Can you believe me, the queen of wreaths and holiday decor, did not have anything to hang on my door for Valentine's Day?

I love anything to do with Valentine's Day ~ hearts and pink and red color combos to name a few. This wreath combined those along with my love of argyle. I was helpless against it's powers! It's pretty, preppy, and festive at the same time!

Of course, when I was practically done making this wreath disaster struck ~ but you're gonna have to scroll down for that! Suffice to say, I almost had to call it a "Broken Heart Argyle Wreath!" 

The supplies - not too bad on the wallet. Especially since I got everything on sale at my favorite place, Hobby Lobby! I used red and pink heavier gauge felt and a skein of grey yarn. I got an average sized foam wreath, but if I were to do it again, I'd get a larger one. It would look better on my front door.

I started by simply tying the yarn to the wreath and then began wrapping it around the wreath. Note: keep a tight, short "leash" on the skein of yarn, otherwise it will turn into a knotted mess. Trust me, I know!

Just keep wrapping! I thought it would take forever, but it really wasn't that bad once I got going.

I watched one of my favorite movies, The Great Gatsby (the Baz Luhrmann/Leonardo DiCaprio one!), while I was wrapping my wreath. This happens to be my favorite outfit of Daisy's in the film. I want it so bad!

Almost done!

Finished! And long before the movie ended. I just tied off the string and snipped the straggly ends off.

Next, I cut out a heart and then used it as a template for the rest of them. A heart shaped cookie cutter would even work if you want it perfect or are not good at drawing. Mine's a little lopsided, but I like it the way it turned out.

Did the same with the red felt.

I then placed the hearts where I wanted them on the wreath.

And tied them on in a criss cross pattern. Don't worry if it's not a perfect X over the heart. It's homemade, remember! That's the charm of it!

I was trying to figure out how to hang it on my door when calamity struck. I dropped the wreath on the tile floor and it completely cracked in half! All that work down the drain! After saying a few bad words, I composed myself and decided to tackle the problem and see how I could salvage my poor wreath! I'm good in a crisis, if nothing else.

My trusty glue gun to the rescue! It was a pretty clean break on both sides of the wreath and I thought I could just glue it back together and re-wrap the string. I glued it and let it sit overnight and then wrapped it back up. It worked perfectly! I added another string around the top and just tied it into a little circle with a bow on top to hang it on my door.

Broken heart wreath no more!

No comments:

Post a Comment