Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Jadeite and Floral


My Jadeite collection is steadily growing and a few weeks ago I came across a vintage McKee canister - on sale - that I couldn't resist!

At first look, I thought it was a Jadeite flower pot since it was missing it's lid, but after some research, I discovered it's true identity! McKee was the first company to start producing Jadeite and this particular type of canister most likely sat on someone's countertop and held sugar or flour.

Although I felt bad about filling my new find with dirt, I still planned on using the canister as a flower pot. It was too perfect and an Amaryllis would look awesome in it! So far, I've not used any of my other vintage Jadeite for food anyways, because I'm kind of a germophobe. Although I've cleaned it all thoroughly, I can't see using it just yet. I mean, someone might have used it as a flower pot and had dirt in it. Yuck. :)

I was laying in bed one night admiring my Martha Stewart sheets and thinking about my new Jadeite canister when inspiration hit. My sheets have some coral, pink, and green flowers on them...and I had just bought some faux coral and pink flowers to make a flower arrangement for my bedroom. Why not put them in my Jadeite canister?!? Perfect!

Faux floral arrangements are really so easy and quick to make and this one was no different. I just got one of those green floral foams and stuck my flowers in it! Voila! Done! And it looks so beautiful! 

I started a full on makeover on my master bedroom over a year ago, and with this simple little project, it's almost complete! Almost! But is any room really ever truly finished?

The supplies: my Jadeite canister, floral foam, and some pretty pink peonies. I cut the peony stems down and removed the leaves.


I put the floral foam in the bottom of the canister.


And stuck the flowers in the foam. Remember to measure the flower stems in regards to your vessel so they are not too short or too tall.


Filled in with the remaining flowers...


I simply added the leaves in wherever there were open spots between the flowers. 


All done in about five minutes or less! And it looks classy and professional!


I needed something pretty on my nightstand!


They are so gorgeous!


I think Marilyn approves!




No comments:

Post a Comment