Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Smoked Cheddar Cheese Souffle


Souffle.

No word in the English (or French, in this case) language evokes more fear in a home cook's heart than souffle.

A souffle is considered the holy grail of cooking. If you can make a souffle, you can make anything.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. 

A souffle is really not that hard to make! 

Personally, I find it a lot easier than trying to make a good fried egg!

If you are looking for a romantic meal to make for Valentine's Day, look no further than this cheese souffle for two from Real Simple!

This has been my go-to Valentine's Day meal for the past two years. This year I made it early since I had that awesome smoked cheddar cheese I got at Guggisberg in Shipshewana last month.

I thought it would be perfect in the souffle, and boy was I right! It was nothing short of amazing!
 
The cheese sauce base.

The egg whites "whipped into submission."

I use a pyrex dish coated in butter and Parmesan cheese instead of a souffle dish because that's what I have. I might try putting it into two little ramekins next time though, just for something different!

Cheese sauce all folded into the egg whites and ready for the oven. I'm not sure if all that nonsense about being quiet around a souffle is nothing more than nonsense or not, but I'm not taking any chances!

Voila! A delicious cheese souffle! It collapsed slightly after taking it out of the oven, but that doesn't affect the taste!

My mouth is watering just looking at it! Next up to try, a chocolate souffle!

No comments:

Post a Comment