Friday, June 30, 2017

A New Garden Has Begun!


 It's no secret that I love flowers! I am always looking for new places in my yard to start a flower garden!

I've been wanting to plant a flower garden on the side of my garage for years, but I'd been waiting until we re-sided our garage to plant it so it wouldn't get trampled. We finally got around to siding the garage last week and I couldn't wait to start planting!

All summer I've been collecting flowers in anticipation of this new garden and they've been languishing in their generic black pots, just waiting to go into the ground! I still have some I have yet to plant, but I've gotten most of them in now. 

What actually started this whole transformation was a picture that I found on Pinterest from the blog Love of Family and Home. The before picture reminded me so much of my own garage and the transformation to their after photo was tremendous! Although I've only just begun, I can already see my new flower garden taking shape! And the garage looks pretty darn awesome too!

I'm trying to be mindful and plant a well-thought out garden this time! I want it to be chock full of flowers that bloom all the way from early Spring to late Fall. "Clean cottage garden" is the look I'm going for, so I'm trying to pay attention to height, color, and bloom times.

In the future, I plan on adding a few more bush-like plants, such as a peony and a hydrangea. I'm also hoping I can find a clematis on sale this year too, to add some height to the garden. Once Fall comes, I'll be planting bulbs in there too! A few annuals will show up every year as well. I still need to buy some landscaping blocks for the border yet, but that can come later! I just needed to start planting!

Here's a look at what I've done so far!

The ugly old garage! It was long overdue to be finished!

Much better! I kept saying "It looks like a real garage now!"


I couldn't wait to get started! I had planted the Rhododendron years ago in anticipation of this day!


It's starting to look like a garden!


This side has yet to be planted, but it will be soon enough! On the end is the Forsythia I got on clearance last year! It's really grown leaps and bounds!


This is my second go around for these Phlox in my yard. I hope they make it this time! I just love them!


These are Delphinium. I couldn't pass up blue flowers! They are going to be planted right in front of the pink Phlox.


I am sincerely hoping this is what I wanted. It's supposed to be a pink and red hardy dinner plate Hibiscus. I guess I'll find out in a couple years!


Some clearance Asiatic Lillies!


I can't wait for these to come back next year. They certainly don't last long enough! They will look great with the orange lillies from the previous picture!

I've planted some annual purple Gomphrena throughout too and will probably add even more annuals once they go on sale super cheap! Plants are my weakness! I just can't say no to them! I've also just planted some Larkspur, Evening Primrose, and Sweet Pea seeds here too, and hopefully they will come up!


Stay tuned to see the final transformation!

And don't forget to follow me on Pinterest and Instagram (@ sweethome.indiana) for more!



No comments:

Post a Comment