Friday, June 23, 2017

DIY Starfish Art


 Have you ever seen something that you just had to have and then looked at the price tag and cringed?

When I was on Sanibel Island, Florida I found an awesome starfish art piece in a shop, but the price tag was astronomical! Close to $1000! I knew it would be perfect in my beach inspired bathroom, but there was no way I could ever afford that!

The next shop we went into was She Sells Sea Shells, a shop full of what else ~ sea shells and other creatures that come from the ocean. It was there that I had an epiphany. I could make my own starfish art piece! I bought a few similarly sized starfish with the intention of re-creating that super expensive artwork.

When I got home I set about finding an exact replica of the glass-backed tarnished metal frame like the one from the expensive shop. Turns out, I couldn't find anything even remotely close to that.

But, I did stumble across a driftwood-esque shadow box on sale at Michael's craft store and had an idea. I would simply paint the background the same color as my bathroom wall so the starfish would fade into the background and look just like the expensive one at Sanibel! I figured you'd never be able to tell there was a back on my frame!

I finally got around to making it this past week and it actually turned out exactly how I imagined it would! How often does that happen?!? It looks awesome!

 My DIY starfish art was very easy to do and ended up being super cheap too! And I love it even more than the $1000 one because I made it myself!

Here's what I did:

The supplies: a shadowbox, a few starfish, and some left over paint from my bathroom!

I painted the background of the shadowbox with my left over bathroom paint.

All dry and ready to attach the starfish!

I positioned the starfish where I wanted them

Looks good! Time to glue!

I simply hot glued the starfish to the back of the shadow box.

All finished! It literally took less than five minutes after I painted the backing!

I am so happy with the way it turned out! It was exactly what I was going for! And it will look perfect hanging in the bathroom!

I have yet to hang it, but it looks awesome with all my other beachy bathroom decor! I may actually leave it here for a bit!





No comments:

Post a Comment