Thursday, June 1, 2017

Grow Your Own Cactus!

 
Cacti are definitely having a moment right now! Everywhere I look, I see a cute little cactus in a cute little pot. On TV, on Instagram, on Pinterest, and even at Walmart.

 I decided I needed one. Or several! I want to make a little cactus garden! While searching for seeds for my garden this spring, I actually came across cactus seeds! I knew immediately that I was going to give it a try. It'd be a lot cheaper to grow them yourself ~ and more fun too!

I love a good cactus. When I was 19, my friend and I went to Saguaro National Park in Arizona and I have been obsessed with cacti big and small ever since! If you are ever in the Tucson area, I highly recommend visiting! It is gorgeous and probably the only place in America where you can get your picture taken with a real fifty foot tall cactus!

My souvenir from my Arizona trip was a small cactus garden with three or four different kinds of cacti in it. I wish I still had it, but unfortunately, my green thumb only seems to apply to outdoor plants! In all honesty, I really want to go back to Arizona, mostly so I can get another cactus garden!

Since a trip to Arizona is not on the horizon anytime soon, I'm going to give these cactus seeds a shot! If all else fails, I'll just buy some cacti at the store and make a cactus garden that way! Next up, I've got to find an awesome pot to put them it!

I had this Jiffy Greenhouse left over from a few years ago when I started some seeds indoors. I thought it was perfect for my cactus experiment, but I'm sure starting them in any kind of pot would work.

These Jiffy pods are awesome! They start out as these little tabs of dry, compressed dirt and all you do is put water on them and they grow!

Just pour water over them until they open up and drain the pan.

Next up, it was time to plant the seeds. They were so tiny!

All I did was make a small divot with my finger and set at least two seeds in the pod. I then kinda smooshed them down a bit and covered the seeds with a bit of the dirt.

All set and ready to grow!

Lastly, I covered them up. See how the "greenhouse effect" is happening already with the top steaming up? Here's hoping these work out! I will be so excited if I even get one cactus out of this! Check back for more updates as the cactus garden grows!



No comments:

Post a Comment