Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Easy and Awesome Calzones!


I fell in love with calzones after trying them for the first time at Costco a few years back. Since I don't have a membership, my chances of getting my hands on them are few and far between. My husband and I were craving those amazing calzones like crazy, so I had to do something! 

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention, and I ended up coming up with my own calzone recipe! And they are nothing short of amazing themselves, if I do say so myself!

 We've actually eaten these calzones twice this month already! They are that good! And very easy to make! I actually prefer them to a homemade pizza, and honestly, even sometimes to a restaurant pizza!

I like a cheese calzone, with a few green olives thrown in, while my husband likes pepperoni in his. Just like a pizza, you can put any toppings in them you desire. Just make sure that if you want sausage, ground beef, or chicken that it's pre-cooked and heated through before stuffing your calzone with it!

Here's what you will need:

Pizza Sauce
Jiffy Pizza Crust
Mozzarella Cheese (shredded is fine, but if you really want an amazing calzone, grate your own!)
 Toppings of your choice!

The ingredients. You can use any toppings you like, these are our favorites!

Make your pizza dough according to the directions on the box and preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

I like to put my dough on the warming area of my stove to let it rise.

Most important rule of working with pizza dough: take off your rings! Then proceed to knead on a floured surface! This dough is very sticky and will usually need several tablespoons of flour.

After kneading your dough, cut it in half and shape them into a sort of rectangle shape and place on a greased pizza pan. Try to get the shapes as even as possible so when you fold it over it matches up with the other side. And try not to tear a hole in the dough either!

Put about a tablespoon or two worth of pizza sauce on one side of the dough.

And add your cheese! Not too much, unless you are having a plain cheese one. I usually have a tendency to overfill mine, so be mindful of that.

Add your other toppings and once again, don't overfill! Less is more with these calzones!

Love me some olives!

Top with the final layer of cheese

And fold over!

Use a fork to crimp your edges

All set to go into the oven! Bake for about 10 minutes.

After about 10 minutes (or just when they are starting to brown), take the calzones out of the oven and rub them with butter!

I sprinkle a bit of garlic salt on them at this point too for some extra flavor, but that's totally optional. Stick it back into the oven for about eight more minutes or until golden brown!

Ready to eat!

My mouth is watering looking at this picture!

Look at that cheese oozing out! There's a delicious little olive peeking out!

Here's my husband's calzone, I'm not really a fan of pepperoni. I ate one too many pepperoni pizzas when I was younger!

Once you have these tasty treats, you'll be craving them again and again!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment