Sunday, April 9, 2017

Check it out!


When I was a child, going to the library was an event. My mom would take us to our local branch of the public library on a regular basis and we'd check out as many books as we could! I was, and still am, a voracious reader! I even remember renting a VCR and movies from there as a child. That was always a real treat!

As an adult, I still love going to the library. It's exciting, you never know what you're going to find! Nowadays, you can get almost any type of media there, including magazines, DVD's, and CD's. The main library, in downtown Fort Wayne, even has a 3D printer available for use! And a Dunkin Donuts! Most libraries offer story times and crafts for kids, and book clubs for adults! Our library even offers online access to websites such as Freegal, where you can download songs for free at home.

And these are not your libraries of old, with card catalogs and mean old librarians telling you to be quiet. At my public library, everything is computerized now and user friendly. It's also more of a meeting place and more akin to a Barnes & Noble with places to sit and read.

I am always in the midst of a book, yet I don't actually own very many because I exclusively use the library. Books are expensive, and there is no way I could afford to support my reading habit if I had to purchase them. My life would be very dull without my public library!

Today kicks off National Library Week, and I urge you all to "check out" your local library. You never know what you'll find!

One of my recent library scores! The original Entertaining by Martha Stewart, a brand new cookbook from Food Network, and a really cool and inspiring book by the founder of the website Habitually Chic, Heather Clawson. And of course, a Jen Lancaster book! I love Jen Lancaster! I am on a mission to read all her books, she is so funny! Most are hilarious memoirs, but she also writes fiction. She's also a local girl from Huntington, Indiana!

These are all books just on interior design, decorating, and styling your home! You can pretty much find anything at my public library, and if you can't you can even ask them to purchase it!

My library has a good mix of old and new items! The librarians are always purchasing new items, many times on the day it comes out, so they always have the newest books and movies! And they're free!!!

Some of the magazines you can get. They have back issues that I love going through too. I actually love seeing things in magazines and then finding the exact article/picture on Pinterest now. You know, since you can't tear out sheets from magazines at the library!


 Happy Hunting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment