Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Pot Roast for the In-Laws


Cooking for your in-laws is quite possibly the most daunting task you will ever be faced with. 

Let me make it really easy for you.

Make a pot roast.

A pot roast is a surprisingly easy meal, yet it is very elegant (and most importantly, delicious!!!)

Some people will just throw it in the crockpot and that's fine, but I prefer to cook mine in the oven. It browns the meat and that's where the flavor comes in!

A roast does take about four to five hours to cook, so make sure to prepare for that. But, if your mother-in-law is coming over you'll probably be spending the day at home cleaning anyways. Am I right?

 Once you throw a roast in the oven there's nothing else to do to it, so you can fix it and forget it!  

I usually get approximately 1.5 lbs of chuck roast per person. (You'll probably have a little for leftovers.) Then I season it liberally with garlic powder, salt, and pepper on both sides.
I put the roast in my French Corningware casserole dish (you could use a small roasting pan as well) and pour in a can of beef broth, filling up the dish about half way up the roast. (Make sure you spray the dish with cooking spray before placing the roast in it for easier clean up!)
At this point, I add my veggies. I usually include carrots, a giant sweet onion (that's my favorite part!), and potatoes. Today, I used red potatoes.
Just cut the potatoes in half.
I quarter the onions.
Add the onions, taters, and baby carrots to the roast. Start the oven out at 350 degrees for about an hour. Then drop the temp down to 250 degrees and cook for about three to four more hours, until the meat is fork tender and falling apart. Make sure the temp is at least 165 degrees in the middle of the roast.
Dig in!
~ ~ ~

This roast is perfect for Weight Watchers followers too. 3oz of roast are 7 smart points and the potatoes are only 2 points for half a cup! Everything else is zero points!

No comments:

Post a Comment